View Single Post
Old 10-06-19, 07:39 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Got a helmet light?
I do not. I appreciate the thought. Though, since you bring the idea up I used to mount a tail light to my current helmet in addition to the back of the rack for extra visibility from behind. Where I used to ride there were a few hills on the roads I had to ride on. The helmet light gave me a ton more distance over the hills people could see me at night as the light was so much higher.

Going back to when I first started riding lots of miles I used an old skateboarding helmet (plastic with 2 layers of foam lining - it is much heavier than the styrofoam/thin plastic type bicycle helmets in current times). It gave me neck and back problems while riding for any distance/time. When I switched to my Bell helmet that made a world of difference in the weight, however I still take it off on long rides to get the weight off my head.

As for adding a headlight up there - it isn't where I want to go for a "solution". I have used a headlamp (the kind with a band for backpacking/hiking/rock climbing) while riding at night to get better visibility to my gear (at the time I was using a Sigma monochrome display computer), but I had to wear it underneath the helmet and there was a lot of interference with the light and helmet causing the light and band to drop down over my eyes at times needing repositioned. The main thing for me on the helmet light idea, though, is the added weight up there. It may not seem like much, but I want to have as light of a head as I can. I realize a light could be taken off when not in use, but still... I'm just not a fan of it.