Old 11-27-21, 05:10 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,017 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
I was in the army from '86-'10 and I remember when they did the early outs in '90 we had a lot of guys take it. But a bunch of them were regretting it after they got out. One was actually my roommate I had an apartment with off post when i was stationed at Bragg. When he got out he stayed in Fayetteville and got a job at some factory, but that very first week he was killing himself for getting out. He tried everything he could to get back in but it was a no go. He was really pissed when we deployed for Desert Shield/Storm and he missed it.

A lot of people also screwed themselves then they did the early retirement a few years later.
Yea there were days initially I was missing it, but when Desert Storm broke out, my old shop Chief called me to see if I wanted to come back in. The downside was I would be on sea duty again, and I had been sea duty for the entire time I was in, so I told him I might considered it if I could be guaranteed shore duty in Jacksonville, for at least 3 years. He asked but they had gotten rid of so many people, they did not have enough to people to staff the squadrons so, that was the end of those discussions. I have some good friends that the early outs and early retirements, they also regretted. I on the other hand, was just at the end of my tour time, so I never fell into that group.