View Single Post
Old 09-05-18, 12:33 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
Narrow 29er tires for Gravel/Road

My Giant Toughroad GX has clearance for 700 x 50mm tires so I got some Clement MSOs in 700 x 50. I’m running them on WTB i23 rims and since I’m a heavy rider (375lbs) I run them between 40-50psi. With that rim and tire pressure combo the tires stretch out to a wide 55mm at the side knobs leaving me ~2-3mm of remaining chainstay clearance.

I’m looking for 29er tires that I can run tubeless with durable sidewalls that won’t leak air at higher pressures, are good for 70/30 pavement/off road, and specifically tires that measure somewhat narrow around 50mm (provided the conditions I described in the last paragraph).

Tires I’ve tried include Schwalbe Thunder Burts (non snakeskin) and WTB Nine lines. The nine lines had noticeable rolling resistance on pavement and the Thunder Burts rolled nicely but was too wide (~54mm). They both had thin sidewalls.

The Soma Cazadero 50mm i saw measured slightly below 50mm, however I don’t think I’d be willing to pay ~$150 for a pair. I wanted to see if anyone had other recommendations that might work for my setup. Thanks!