View Single Post
Old 07-16-19, 04:20 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
If the wheels (hubs) are smooth running now, would question why there is a need to open them up at all.

A visual look at the condition of the bike should tell the OP a basic history of the bike, as in, has it been cared for/maintained, or abused, you can get a 6-month-old bike which has been used every day with no maintenance in a worse condition than a well maintained/unused 30-year-old bike

Tires I get, innertubes, these will have seen no UV-light (which will damage the tires), if they still hold air, no real need to replace chain, cranks, etc (i.e. metal parts) you can visually see if these are good/worn/scrap, cables (inners and outers) & brake pads, why not, as they are cheap.
I'm with you on just about everything you said. For me pulling apart wheel bearings for cleaning and relubing on any recent acquisition is a must. If it's been sitting it's probably dried out and if it's heavily used, it's probably contaminated with dirt. In any case you get a good feel for the bike by checking the bearing surfaces. The BB bearings and headset get the same treatment. Chasing ball bearings from a headset should be a televised sport. If they don't need replacement, I don't replace them. It's really hard to toss unused tires that have aged sidewalls but you gotta do it. If the brake pads are good, I just take some sandpaper to the surface to remove any glazing.
My issue is paint. I hate all the work involved in new paint but hate a heavily scratched and chipped frame. I know it does nothing to effect performance and it's just a black hole from which you will get no return but touch up paint always looks like touch up paint.
I'm a cheapskate. I realize that. I've even removed dirty white bar tape, scrubbed it clean and reattached it.