View Single Post
Old 07-16-19, 08:53 PM
hhk25

Bikes: 2017 Marinoni Tourismo Extreme, 1984 Trek 520, 1987 Niskhiki International, 2013 Brompton M6R, 2016 Brompton P6R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Cycle Tourist
I'm with you on just about everything you said. For me pulling apart wheel bearings for cleaning and relubing on any recent acquisition is a must. If it's been sitting it's probably dried out and if it's heavily used, it's probably contaminated with dirt. In any case you get a good feel for the bike by checking the bearing surfaces. The BB bearings and headset get the same treatment. Chasing ball bearings from a headset should be a televised sport. If they don't need replacement, I don't replace them. It's really hard to toss unused tires that have aged sidewalls but you gotta do it. If the brake pads are good, I just take some sandpaper to the surface to remove any glazing.
My issue is paint. I hate all the work involved in new paint but hate a heavily scratched and chipped frame. I know it does nothing to effect performance and it's just a black hole from which you will get no return but touch up paint always looks like touch up paint.
I'm a cheapskate. I realize that. I've even removed dirty white bar tape, scrubbed it clean and reattached it.
I think I paid $10 for a bag of 144 1/4" bearings. That's 7 cents each. Old mechanic once told me, if you drop a new bearing during install, don't even bother picking it up and cleaning it. Just get a new one.