View Single Post
Old 09-29-10, 12:02 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Got a set of rollers ... any advice?

First, does it matter which bike I use on these? Does it make sense to use my CX bike to avoid wear to the drive train in my nice road bike? I don't think so, but can the front damage a carbon fork or bars?

Craigslist got me a set of rollers for $40 - I was actually trying to find a deal on fenders or a rack to Fred the CX bike up. I've only ever been on a trainer for bike fittings, so this is pretty new to me. The rollers are a bit twitchier; if you don't keep the bike perfectly straight when you peddle, you can feel it in a big way.

I'm hoping they'll help with my technique a bit, but I got them for high cadence / anaerobic practice. I bike (outdoors!) throughout the winter, so these probably won't be for long "rides." They're incredibly boring.

There doesn't seem to be a way to increase the resistance, beyond shifting, which only gets you a little. Would it make sense to put a door mat or something under them? Probably a good idea to wash it first...

They seem pretty quiet. Should I assume the people downstairs don't hate me, until I get a chance to ask them directly?

Do concepts like "distance" and "speed" make sense on these things? Obviously cadence and saddle time are real, but is there any reason to move the speedometer to the rear wheel?

Anything else I should know, or advice on how to get a good workout with them?