View Single Post
Old 06-17-15, 04:50 PM
Papa Wheelie

Bikes: Specialized Stumpjumper EVO R; Salsa Spearfish 2; Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a Salsa Bucksaw1 this spring. I probably have 700 miles on it so far. The first 2 weeks (and 175 miles) were tough on me. The bike weighs 34 pounds, which is about 10 pounds heavier than my other mountain bike. The wheels are also more mass, which is harder to get going.

Going into the third week, the smile came back. My body adjusted, and it was not so tough anymore.

I see my bike having two suspension systems. The tires are at about 14 psi, which absorbs the small trail chatter of rocks, rain ruts, and washboards. When I hit a big bump or drop, the fork and shock come into play.

The way I am looking at it now, riding a heavier bike is only making me work harder. My buddies (on their carbon fiber, hardtail 29'ers) got a two-week respite from me taking them to task. Now I am right back to the front of the line, and I know that I ALSO have a carbon fiber hardtail 29'er in my quiver.

On the fatbike, I am NOT MUCH slower going up hill, and I am WAY FASTER going down.

Why am I spending all of my time on my Bucksaw? Because my bike is a smile factory. It is KILLING IT in the foothills of Boise.

It also gets a lot of attention from the other trail users.......

Last edited by Papa Wheelie; 06-17-15 at 04:56 PM.