Old 10-21-19, 05:29 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
darkness complicates everything. you reminded me, while riding I was observing pointy objects on the trail, mostly wooden, as-in fallen branches with smaller branches pointing upward. or tree roots or stalks broken at the ground level, slightly worn but maybe not. some appearing sharper than others. it occurred to me, I might tear a tire, beyond repair with typical tire booting products, that I carry. resulting in a desperate walk of shame, in the middle of the woods, possibly at dusk, or worse, darkness. I was not carrying a light (note to self: carry a light, even when I have no intention of being out after dark)
Yes bring a light. These days I do road rides starting near Providence to or near the CC Canal and up near M. Standish, Plymouth etc.. I don't go far away without two separate headlights and taillights on a long ride. If near home Just the backup light, I leave it in the bag all the time. Only time I used the backup lights was about 15-20f degrees. Cold shortened the backup light time too, but I was close enough to home. I also carry a small light that I can hold in my mouth to fix a flat in the dark. It works great.

When going to new places, I sometimes stop and turn around to see what an intersection would look like going home in the dark.
Likes For 2manybikes: