View Single Post
Old 10-24-19, 09:07 AM
Falkon 
No Talent Assclown

Bikes: 1984 Ciocc Designer '84, Custom Columbus EL Keith Anderson -- Ultegra/DA 10sp mix, 2019 Trek Checkpoint AL All-arounder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
My wife bought herself an Osprey backpack. It's specifically for women's size bodies. She didn't like it, so she gave it to me. It doesn't feel too small on me, but I'm not a very big guy. It has an internal frame which makes the pack feel heavy. But the ergonomics are so brilliant that once it's on my back, the weight disappears. No wonder these things are so expensive. Let's see how it holds up. I'm pretty impressed so far. I have to walk and ride around wearing a backpack with a somewhat feminine shade of purple, but I don't mind.

I had a Timbuk2 backpack until recently. It was very lightweight, but because of that, it was very floppy when not on my back. The floppiness made it difficult to pack. I'm surprised at how much of an inconvenience that was. The pack started tearing after two or three years, so I guess these things don't last long. But I got it at a very good price, so I got my money's worth.
Holy thread necromancy. This thread is from the year I graduated with my degree.

For what it's worth, I recently bought an Osprey Stratos 34 for bike commuting. I needed something better than my standard backpack. I wanted a hip belt and chest strap. It's marketed as a hiking pack and takes a hydration bladder, though I rarely use it. I have mixed feelings about this pack. The build is stellar, and the suspended back mesh trampoline thing keeps your back from getting so sweaty. I use the bottom compartment that would be for a sleeping bag on larger packs to fit my dress shoes. The issue I have with this pack is there seems to barely be enough room for daily commuting stuff. I barely have enough space to carry my dress shoes, work clothes, lunch, towel, shower gear, and hat. As the temperature here gets wonky in Fall, going from 40s in the mornings to up to 70s in the afternoon, there may just barely be enough room to carry a light softshell, gloves, and baselayer top from the morning. I wore my thicker Condor softshell jacket the other morning and barely had enough room to stuff it in the pack. I then had to pretty much fold and stuff the rest of my dress clothes on top of it. I didn't bring lunch that day, and I don't know how I would fit everything if I had. I don't know if it's the volume or the shape that's more limiting. This pack is more cycle commuting specific in the same volume but barely has a hip belt versus the quite nice one on the Stratos. You would think it doesn't come into play so much commuting on a road bike, but it absolutely does help. The hip belt on the Stratos also has pockets that are perfect for my work badges and headphones.

The ergonomics and overall quality of my Osprey packs has been great. The suspended mesh back with the aluminum stays on the internal frame sheet is just an excellent design, and it pulls double duty as my day hiking pack. I just either suck at packing it well for commuting, or I really need to go back to a bike with a rack and panniers.