View Single Post
Old 11-26-19, 12:27 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by CarloM
So full disclosure: I own a Cervelo S3 so I'm not a hater on the brand. Right after I purchased mine, I came across the Hambini video where he roasts them for their excessive acceptable tolerance for their BBright bottom brackets, and how if yours is out of what he considers acceptable tolerance, but still within Cervelo's acceptable tolerance, you can get bottom bracket creaking.

Of course I saw the video after my return window was closed, so I just hoped and prayed mine was within a good tolerance. So far, several months down the line, all quiet on the western front. Since I've never had BB creak, I wondered if I would know what it even sounded like.

Fast forward to Monday. I drove out to a shop about 15 miles away that had a bunch of gravel bikes I was interested in testing: Aspero, 3T Exploro, and I even got to ride a Pinarello Grevil in my size!

Rode the beautiful gold Aspero, it is stunning in person! It's gold but as you can tell, has a neat little color shift in certain light. Looks gorgeous in natural sunlight as well!

Was so looking forward to the ride! Took it out to the large parking lot, hopped on and...bottom bracket creak.

Wow. So that's what that sounds like. Now at least I know what to listen for in my S3 but again (knock on wood) all is good on that front. But was very disappointed that even though Damon Rinard (who according to Hambini was responsible for the tolerance change) had moved from Cervelo to Cannondale, apparently the relaxed acceptable tolerance he introduced is still impacting new bikes. I'm not sure when this frame was built or passed through QC (if it was during or after Rinard's departure from the company) but wow was that disappointing to discover.
I saw that video too and it is absolutely bonkers what Rinard deems acceptable in terms of tolerances. Cannondale BB30 frames were already absolute **** in regards to creaking and now with this guy at the helm it's going to get worse.