Thread: Sail bike?
View Single Post
Old 05-12-16, 03:31 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Zefrost
I guess I'm reviving the thread.

Can we just ignore for a second, the sideways force and pretend that tipping over on a 2-wheel bicycle is a non issue.

Is it at all possible, then, to have a sail on your basic 2-wheel bicycle that can go against the wind? That's the most practical reason - to go against the wind with ease.

If you have your basic mountain bike with a milk crate at the back (mine). Is it possible to steer your handlebars with 1 hand and have a sail attached at the back with a handle of sorts to steer the sail with the other hand? Any time that wind is annoying for me, it's a constant wind. Wind gusts from 0-30 MPH don't really happen... it's usually a constant amount that I'd like to go against.

- What would the sail look like/weigh if at the back of a bike?
- Is it even possible to go completely straight? I thought I read that sailboats that go against the wind have to go on an angle and then shift their sails to go on an angle the opposite way. If a 2-wheel bike can't go straight then this whole idea is moot.
You need LOTS OF SPACE for manouvering. Do NOT attempt this on a road where there are cars! You also need an INSTANT-disconnect for the sail lines so that you can release the sail if things get hairy or speed gets too high.

You also need to be able to see all around you in order to avoid obstacles. I'd use a clear material for any sail.

Cheers