Old 05-27-19, 01:45 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Agreed about the mount and USB port cover. Both are a PITA.

But it's still a good light and I'd buy another L&M. It's reliable. It holds a charge longer than my other brand lights, both in use and between uses. I have to top off my NiteRider and Cygolite lights often, even if I don't use them daily. So far no need to do that with the L&M, after about 2.5 years of frequent use. Seems to last as long per charge as it did when new.

The pulse mode seems okay. Strobe mode wouldn't be bad if so many cyclists didn't abuse it to blind other cyclists and pedestrians on the narrow MUP. It's the sort of lack of personal responsibility that leads to misguided laws. On my lights with strobe or flashing mode I usually aim the light downward a bit, and off on the MUP. On the MUP at dusk or after dark I use a low power steady light. My helmet light is usually in flashing mode in traffic, but it's only 300 lumens peak.

The USB cover broke off the first few months. I pry it off with a plastic card to recharge. Then retrieve the cover off the floor.

The rubber band mount began cracking, then breaking, after about a year. It was painful to use on winter rides when my arthritic hands were aching. I've used lots of rubber band type mounts and straps. L&M was the worst.

And the "quick" release is the worst design of any major bike headlight maker. Mine lacked the screw retainer. I used a plastic Q-tip shaft through those holes to keep the light from popping loose. And I had to use a rubber band to keep the light from pivoting loosely in the socket.

Finally I switched to a Two Fish light mount. Problem solved. The combination of the L&M tapered barrel and protruding lug to attach the original mount ensures a secure hold. The Two Fish mount has two different diameter U-troughs on the rubber block. I use the smaller trough on the handlebar and the larger one for the light.

However the light can't pivot like it does with the original mount, so I can't mount the Two Fish to the head tube and pivot the light downward a bit. No great loss, I have other lights for that.

Also, I've homebrewed a hood/diffuser for the L&M Urban 500, which prevents overhead spill where it isn't usually necessary, and enhances side visibility. It's made from a translucent white plastic pill bottle, cut to shape. Snaps into the recess behind the front of the barrel. Takes less than 30 minutes to cut one of those soft plastic bottles to shape with scissors and a craft knife, then add some black tape across the top to shield the rider's eyes, while allowing the bottom of the diffuser to glow like a light bulb. Much better side visibility than the original yellow side ports on the L&M Urban lights.

Anyway, every bike light I've used has some PITA issues. None of the mounts is really good, but some are less bad than others.