Old 06-09-19, 10:05 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by carlos danger
aka 300% what more do you need?
Depends on the ride, but there have been times where I wanted a lot more than that.

The 305% range on my 70s Fuji was mostly adequate for yesterday's ride, since even though it was very long, it didn't go into many very aggressive hills. The 34-28 low gear was always comfortable (but only just), while the 52-14 top gear started to get slightly strained a little on a shallow descent where a very strong cyclist at the front was absolutely hammering.

For rides that venture into the gravel roads of the Cascades foothills, I want a much lower bottom gear. Significantly sub-1:1. I could climb most of those hills on 34-28, but when I'm faced with a mile of loose rocks at a 12% gradient, I'm much faster and fatigue much less on an itsy-bitsy gear.
Obviously that kind of low-end is doable with a double, but if I also want classic road gearing with a high top-end and tight spacing on the same bike at the same time, a triple makes that much more doable.

Loaded touring is another situation where a super-wide range is desirable. If I've been riding into headwinds for the last 90 miles, and suddenly a 16% hill shows up, and I don't want to burn my legs up (because I'm going to go over a big mountain pass on the next day and the next and have another big ride the next day after that), I'm going to want some very small gears. And again, I'm road riding, so I don't want 18% gaps between all my gears.
Likes For HTupolev: