Old 06-17-19, 03:49 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
Cassette stutter

Beginning mechanic but trying hard to learn more, read the bike mechanics forum all the time.

A friend had his bike worked on by a LBS, new rear wheel, tire, tube, cassette and chain all to the tune of $550. I say this only to point out that the wheel could not have cost too much, its a Shimano. He's being bothered by some noise from the rear wheel and what he thought was shifting issues. Long story short, I traced it to his rear wheel and what seems to be his hub. When you spin the cassette it freewheels for a tenth of a revolution or so before it engages whatever is in the hub that it engages with. I don't know about hubs. Took the wheel off, cassette lock nut is tight and that's about all I could do. This freewheeling happens a lot, whenever he's not applying constant pressure through his pedal stroke so it bothers him. He's oldschool and holding on to a 20 plus year old aluminum Cannondale 9 speed, but its a nice bike.

Guess I'm just asking if this is common with cheaper wheels/hubs and if there's anything more I can help him with. I don't mind buying tools.

Thanks