Old 11-26-07, 08:20 PM
jwillow

Bikes: Pinarello Treviso (80s)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dvs cycles
One of the great things about the old steel frames is their ability to adapt. My '87 Pinarello went from 7sp to 8sp to STI. The rear was easily spread to the wider axel width.
The new carbon frames won't be able to adapt should the standard change in the future.
CroMo can always be updated by a good frame builder.
Fun thread going here. Great photos of beautiful bikes. I've got an 80s Pinarello too - and the original wheels are due for replacement. Was it easy to simply squeeze the 130mm wheel into the narrower frame? or did you have to revert to Sheldon's (or other) frame spacing technique.

On that note- whilst looking for screws on loosescrews.com the other day I saw a "Frame Spreader". That looked like a simple and uncomplicated solution - assuming the plain squeeze doesn't work. Does anybody have any experience with that?

Description from website:

Item #TH-HPFS: This tool can be used for installing bearings in hubs where bearings are pressed in prior to axle installation; Suntour, Specialized, etc. Also doubles as a frame spreader to increase rear dropout spacing. This is a very simple unit consisting of a 10mm solid axle, two 10mm nuts with attached floating washers (track nuts) and two flat washers approximately 1 3/8" in diameter. Starting from the outside, the idea is to use the track nuts, flat washers and old cartridge bearings (the ones being replaced) to press new cartridge bearings into the hub shell.

Cheers

Jan