Old 09-06-16, 02:39 PM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a couple of bicycle storage systems that are pulleys with ropes that can mount to the ceiling or rafters. These systems use metal hooks to connect to the bicycle, and a small rope with a cam-lock clamp to hold the rope while the user secures it, more reliably. I bought these hoists because they were on clearance for a really good price, but I haven't installed them, yet, because I already have hooks in the ceiling that work, and I don't have anywhere to attach the cam-locks, which will likely require proximity to a wall.

I say all of that to indicate that the rope hoist, despite all its high-tech design and materials, doesn't improve on the simple hooks already in place.

Most storage systems are going to rely upon a compromise by the purchaser to make the design work in their environment, and, inevitably, people are going to default to simple and cheap. So, that's my recommendation: figure out something that is simple and cheap, but improves on a basic hook.

Oh, and, the biggest problem I run into is saddles interfering with handlebars, and vice versa. Gotta find some way to offset the bikes enough to avoid that little conflict without increasing the space required to store the bikes.

Good luck!