View Single Post
Old 07-18-10, 10:25 PM
sherbornpeddler

Bikes: 3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
I "city ride" Boston faster than pedestrians and slower, very much give way to motorized vehicles. Occassionaly I ride up on sidewalks to avoid traffic and creep at intersections. City drivers seem bicycle friendly; used to stop and go, proximity of pedestrians and even bikes. The spandex messenger-type flying through traffic I imagine drives drivers nuts. I imagine my near pedestrian pedal speed is nothing.

Out in the Metro-burbs, spandexed at 17 mph, I inspire honks, sudden accelerations and (texting) near misses; even when solo, tucked to the side of the road. I am pretty good staying single file in group rides, mortified when comrades don't promptly give way and find motor drivers relations more strained than Boston proper.

Still, today was another great Metro ride, sailing 45 miles through Norfolk, Wrentham, Blackstone, Mendon, Hopedale and Bellingham.

Anyone biked under an official "Public Shade Tree?" There is a beauty on 114 Elm St in Balckstone, just east of the stone E. Blackstone Grange Building.