Old 10-25-18, 09:00 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
OP wasn't stereotyping, though, merely stating the facts of his/her own experience. When Coffesnob quoted OP, he/she left out that sentence. Otherwise, I think this post of yours is pretty much in line with my observations.

I do sometimes wonder if some of this is people who really don't have the driving skills to drive a truck poorly executing passes, but when they also yell obscenities out the window or just scream nonsense, it tends to clear up the issue.
ive been pushed off the side of the road, nearly (purposely) run over, had drivers purposely pull toward me into a bicycle lane, had diesels ‘roll coal’ many times. All of these have been white males in trucks. I wouldn’t say any of them lacked skills, but instead lacked maturity and empathy for the lives they are purposely putting in danger. Why they are all truck drivers I don’t know, but as I already said, I live in the south, so I’m not surprised.

i would lump bad drivers into two categories:
1. People like these truck drivers
2. People who lack skills or who are distracted and/or frustrated behind the wheel.

the first type purposely endanger people seemingly for a laugh, the other just have bad encounters and vent anger or frustration. (As cyclists we know this feeling as well). The first type are probably the most well known and most hated, but in the big picture it’s the second type that’s broadly, far more dangerous. Getting back to my earlier rant about the need to get back to the understanding that driving is a privilege not a right. The first type are most likely to end up in prison and without a license at some point anyway.