Old 05-01-20, 11:21 AM
Rick53

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Are E-Bikes Really worth The Price and headaches?

The more I research E-Bikes : I find the problems seem to be related mainly to the software . I road a Specialized Vado that was a Class 3 > It was fun going 25 plus MPH . But that was rare. The average riding slowed us down to 15 MPH or so > On a regular Bike I'd be going about 12 MPH . While there were times having the juice to climb hills was a great advantage : I found on a 20 mile Road : 80% of the time our situation required speeds of 10-15 MPH most of the time. My complaint was I didn't feel like I even had to peddle : That was leaving the Bike in what they called eco mode I think .

Were I riding my regular Trek Dual Sport 3 > A 20 mile ride wouldn't have exhausted me > But I would have felt like I got some exercise: On the E-bike It seems to get the exercise I get on a 20 mile ride I'd need to go at least 30 miles . Maybe even 40 .

I can see these being a Big Help for a daily Commuter > I just can't see where a Casual Rider like me > Who has the time 3/4 times a week to go on a 20-25 mile ride . Owning an E-bike to ride mainly Bike trails and country roads is worth it > I'm not in a hurry to get anywhere >
I ride for fun and to strengthen My Legs for Golf >

Plus I read on the Electric Bike Forums all kinds of issues : Where having Shop support is a must. I'm a DIY type with a regular generic Bike : Never felt the need to run back and forth to a shop : Thinking maybe I should just upgrade My Dual Sport / and wait until prices drop and bugs get worked out better . Any Thoughts from those who OWN ONE: