Old 05-04-20, 06:45 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
My biggest concern with e-bikes are the batteries. I have an elderly friend who bought an e-bike a few years ago and now the battery is dead. In helping him find a new battery, I learned a few things:
  • e-bike batteries last approximately 3 to 5 years before they need to be replaced
  • there is no such thing as a "standard e-bike battery"
  • replacement e-bike batteries cost several hundred dollars
  • replacement e-bike batteries may be difficult or even impossible to find once your bike is no longer the current model
  • some enterprising individuals have started businesses to refurbish used e-bike batteries, but prices are still in the hundreds to refresh the batteries.
My friend didn't get a new battery because he couldn't afford it. So now his bike is a giant paper weight.

Hence, if you're in the market for an e-bike, ask a LOT of questions about the battery and what the plan is for replacements 5, 10, and 15 years into the future when the bike shop and manufacturer no longer supports your bike!
Has your friend considered rebuilding his battery pack? I'm sure that newer batteries can be installed with more Current available hence extending his range. Most ebike shops worth their salt can refer your friend to a company that rebuilds battery packs. Ebikes are electronic in nature so, the hardware gets upgraded every couple of years with more capability and features. It might be cheaper to buy a new lower end ebike. 3-5 years of regular use is pretty good for now, in the future batteries will get lighter and may last longer. You never buy a car because it will last forever. Funny thing about society is that people always compare ebikes to cars. It doesn't work. Maybe an electric car would be a better comparison or an electric motorcycle. Both vehicles aren't comparable to their ICE counterpart. Ebikes are the best selling hybrid vehicles in the world.