Old 09-01-20, 11:03 PM
speedyspaghetti

Bikes: VeloBuild VB-R-022 // '89 Specialized Allez Full Dura-Ace 7400 // Santa Cruz Stigmata CC // Bridgestone MB-3 BoxTwo 1x Conversion // Bridgestone MB-6 // Santa Cruz Highball C // Ibis Spanky

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Loud click from crank area after new parts install

Hey everyone -

So today I finally got around to throwing on some upgraded parts on my bike. I installed the following:

FSA Aluminum Clinchers (forgot the exact model)

Ultegra 6600 FD

Ultegra FC-6750 Double Crankset

Ultegra 6600 2x10 Shifters

Ultegra BBR60 Bottom Bracket

I had the bike shop torque down (well he didn't use a torque wrench but its definitely tight) the bottom bracket for me as I don't have the stupid 41mm tool and all the bike shops around here don't sell it, but other than that I did the install myself. Everything when on smoothly, but when I took it out for a test ride I noticed a real annoying, loud click that comes from the crank/bb area when pedaling moderately hard. It seems to consistently happen when I'm past the top of the pedal stroke and I start pushing down (if that makes sense). It almost feels like the chain skips a tooth or something but I don't think it is actually skipping. I can feel the "click" through my feet. It does it on both the big and little chainring.

The rear derailleur (Ultegra 6600) was already on the bike (I had a triple crankset with the same cassette). I've tried the following to no avail:

- Tried my old rear wheel

- Tried a different cassette

- Tried different pedals

- Uninstalled and re-installed the crankset

- Removed and re-installed chainring bolts

- Tried to apply lateral force to crankset with the chain off to look for play - nothing obvious

I'm kind of at a loss here and very frustrated as I spent multiple hours today trying to figure this out and now I can't ride until I get it fixed. I also can't take the BB off since I don't have the tool (I have ordered it but will take a few days)

All of the parts I installed today were bought used but seemed to be in good condition. Chainrings have a few worn down teeth but nothing horrible. BB was also used but looked like-new when I got it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Crappy photos - but in case anyone wants a visual: Album