Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
CS would be along the lines of:

crypto > kernel > drivers > applications > web apps

I'm at the tail end of that, by the way, and holding on for dear life.

The management thing... being a good manager is incredibly hard, but getting a business degree is stupid easy. One of my college buddies majored in chem-E (worked for Hershey twice and Trojan's parent in between, always hard at work) and then got an MBA a few years later at Ruggers. He barely squeaked through undergrad; his years getting the MBA part-time included a lot of eye-rolling FB posts about classmates calling algebra difficult.
Yah, getting a business degree isn’t hard. I don’t have an advanced degree and at my age I’d probably get an MBA if anything. But that’s really only for signaling and spending another 50k just to have something on my resume doesn’t seem worth it.

Being a good manager is hard. I had a really hard time when I first started. I was a great data analyst, but just an okay leader. Luckily, I was really good at setting any executing strategy and got much better at elevating “line staff.” I also had a great mentor at my prior company. Still, now I’m a far better manager of managers than I ever was of analysts and developers directly.