Old 01-24-19, 05:02 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by OhLylo
OK, so it's a 4 lane road (2 in each direction) with a bike lane. About a quarter mile out from a left turn I need to make, I signal, it's clear, and I move over to the left to wait at the light to make the turn. A guy in a silver Scion comes barreling up behind me (40mph limit here btw!), laying on the horn for like 15 straight seconds. I'm a little panicked but oh well, whatever, pressing on. Eventually he passes me on the right and loops back into the left turn lane I'm going into. I stop about 50 feet back to keep my options open in case he decides to get crazy. Sure enough, he opens his door, climbs out, and starts yelling at me. I just pointed at the light and said "I'm turning", and then the light changed and he got back into his car and drove off. It was a scary moment, though. Maybe it's time for me to get a can of pepper spray and mount it to my top tube.
The guy actually getting out of his car because you had to go around him is insane. I really don't know what is wrong with people.

As for a left turn at an intersection like that, have you ever considered turning right, or waiting on the right, for the light to change, and then going across with the cross traffic? From motorcycle riding I know that waiting at lights is one of the most dangerous moments, and that's with bright tail/brake lights and sometimes a flashing turn signal. I'd feel even more vulnerable on my bike.