Old 08-04-20, 03:04 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
I'm sure many UW students got around on TV Lenny bike. From the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

His favorite giveaway was bicycles. Buy a TV, get a free bike.

"It was the most successful," Mattioli said. "Over 100,000 bikes over the course of the years. It was just one innovation. It was, 'Just try it.' We did all kinds of crazy things."
I met him twice, talked to him a third time. One of those people who everyone wanted to spend time with; so interesting to talk to.

First time, I was looking at cassette tape decks, and he convinced me the top-load were more stable, even if you had to leave room over them to handle the cassettes. Store owner, discussing with a teen. Gotta respect that work ethic, to know the products in a store with thousands. At the time, he was working 12 hours a day, 6 and 7 days a week, and he told me he needed to slow down, but $100,000/year was good for his family. Second time, I had a list of things my friends and family needed, drove the hour there to carefully get the ones that came with a bike. Came home with 5-6 Firenza 10-speeds. (Sold 'em all) He came up to the front of the store when someone said "some guy's getting a buttload of bikes." We talked for a while, and he said "better check those over before you ride them." Third time, I was getting ready to go to boot camp, and I had a list of all the audio stuff of my parents that I'd damaged or lost or ruined, starting with poking pencils into speakers as a 3-year old, to feel them vibrate. I wanted to replace them before I left; had been working 70 hours a week making cheese to earn the dough. He came over, and I told him I was replacing all the audio there at American TV, then going to Sears to replace all the tools. He gave me 40% off and wished me well in the service, told me the Sears Audio by Fisher was pretty good stuff, too.

He was selling e-bikes last I heard.