Old 07-17-19, 07:43 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
you weigh 290 lbs right?
or was it 125?

so yes, as you didnt mention your weight, who knows, but it is going to be a big factor here.

Ive toured fully loaded up on 32 spoke mtb stuff with 2in slicks and lower pressures and been fine, but lets be realistic--there are so many factors that will make a difference
-rider weight
-tire size and pressures
-stuff weight
-and finally, and most importantly in my opinion, is how you ride--if you are careful and unweight the bike properly when hitting stuff, thats one thing, but some people are "bull in a chinashop" riders, so really, no black and white answer here.

my suggestion is to put the junk on the bike, round around and over stuff and listen and feel how the wheelset is responding.
Other than getting some sort of "perfect condition of spoke tensions and rim strength when new" weight recommendations , and perfect isnt the case here, they are not new and who knows what conditions everything is in, I suspect its a bit of a crapshoot here.

good luck on trying out the bike in real life with stuff on it to get an idea of what the wheels and spokes are telling you

also, it would make sense to get a good wheel guy to go over them and let you know how they are, and to retension spokes if needed, align etc , as well as inspect.

ps edit--I used 26in XC rims with 32 spokes, lightish rims, but I only weigh 135, but probably had 60lbs of stuff on bike at times. Tires 2in at just over 40psi which had a good amount of tire suspension effect from supple tires and the pressures, so this helped a lot.
Your wheelset is obviously lighter than mine, but maybe the total weight thing for you is a lot less than for me and my load, so it could work, but then if you weigh 100lbs more than me, thats a diff story.....

Last edited by djb; 07-17-19 at 07:51 AM.