CrankyFranky
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=randyjawa;20425934]
Have not previously seen one with the white paint on the frame ends.

Do folks think this feature OEM?
Randy, I bought a '72 Atala Record Pro from my LBS, and still ride it daily in lowly commuting service. Mine definitely did not have painted frame ends and I didn't see any with painted lugs in my time ogling other Atalas at that LBS during the period around when I bought it.

I ended up stupidly vibra-engraving my name in places on the chrome during the crack years that raged then - when the local US constabulary suggested that this solution was the only thing to avoid the bike being stolen and chopped. Grrrrrr... so the ID'ed lugs will need to be defaced and painted before I kick the bucket. Oh, the humanity!

I too am a fan of that flattened fastback seat cluster and chromed ends, socks, and all lugs except the BB. I really like the gold with green panels on the 'one that got away' from you...absolutely beautiful (edit - whoopsie I now see that that gold/green one wasn't yours). Mine is a really non-flashy ho-hum battleship gray with blue panels, and seems to have been mostly nickel plate under the paint - thus, it doesn't hold paint very well. Like you, I converted to clinchers too early - but this meant 27" rims due to the brake reach demands. I did tour on the tubs in northern Europe and amazed myself that I could go a hundred miles laden on it without trouble. But the chore of doing the tubular repairs between rides each day end got to me! I upgraded the brakes on mine, even though the Universal center pulls did well enough - I used the Campagnolo Road with a drop bolt for the rear. I later reverted to the Universals which work fine - I moved the Records to my Stan Pike once I got that from the builder in the early 80's. Unlike you, I haven't become a collector, I just ride 'em - but I definitely envy your dedication to your hobby and your excellent documentation. Thanks Randy!

Last edited by CrankyFranky; 07-04-18 at 08:05 AM.