View Single Post
Old 10-20-18, 06:39 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I drive a car and probably will as long as I own a house. I have improved the 26 yo house I bought 20 years ago radically (insulation, heating bills, comfort. interior layout, walls, new roof, etc. Many, many sheets of plywood, paneling and drywall. Usually one, two or three sheets at a time. I will not take 4' x 8' sheets on a bike. Just not that hardcore. (I did carry a 2' x 4' sheet of 1/4" aluminum on my UO-8 40 years ago. That was an adventure!
It's fun to find ways of doing household projects that don't require driving. E.g. I had to deal with siding last summer and I was considering using fiber cement, but I ended up opting for vinyl because I could carry it by hand. It was really fun to realize you could build entire cottages by carrying a few 2x4s at a time and vinyl siding, aluminum roofing, etc. If I had a project involving plywood, I would either bring it home in smaller pieces or I would figure out how much I needed for the entire job and then pay the store a delivery fee to bring the entire stack of plywood in one trip.