Thread: Car Free Me
View Single Post
Old 11-10-18, 12:15 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I can only speak from my experience working at an Extended Care Campus that employs aprox. 600 people so...

Every project needs what we call champions. These are the worker bees that believe in the project and are willing to do the work to see it through. This is not the same as people who talk about what others ought to do. I would be the "champion" for the Duet Therapeutic Cycling program here and did the research to develop SOP's, training material, shopped for accessories etc... but even before that I have done two major fund and awareness raising cycling campaigns so I'm well known both for knowing about bikes and seeing projects through.

Don't expect the employer to do the work. Do your own research, look for similar programs/design, cost it out etc...

Make a project board (like in school) and post pictures, quotes, data, design. People like to see what you are talking about as a bunch of words can be confusing. This helps you to focus and is a great visual tool for management and staff.

Don't be confrontational - ever. Even if you hit a wall for some reason just keep it positive and expect a long term commitment to making it work and also be willing to accept some compromise. Your job would be to educate and win over people who may not see the need or value in it. I have carefully crafted a certain persona at work that is friendly and cooperative, even if I don't always feel that way. That's because I want to influence decisions and move my agenda forward. It's old fashioned diplomacy.

Show how it benefits the employer either directly or indirectly. A bike program can be spun to make an employer look progressive, green, concerned for workers etc... Our Duet bikes cost over 12K so far but the employer sees a lot of positive return in regards to optics (as well as benefits to the residents).

Have a definite plan with specific goals. If secure parking is an issue look at the space, draft it out, consider what elements you need and what elements you may already have in some form (card/code lock entry, chainlink fencing, security camera, panic button). For example; at our facility we have cards to swipe/open doors. A lock up just needs that lock system installed and access can be programmed into individual cards by those who want access via HR.

Get involved in the committee that over sees that area. We have JOHS and Health and Wellness. I'm on the JOHS but have a good working relationship with management and the H&W people so things overlap.

Consider a staff fundraiser with matching employer contribution. Don't just ask management to make all the commitment. If it isn't money perhaps staff can commit to a work party to build or something. If management does pony up don't forget to reward that with positive reviews like maybe a letter to the editor of the local paper or bragging about them at trade events etc...

I don't know if any of that helps but it's a start I guess. I tend to map out projects visually like a flow chart and define on paper what each step or part entails and that becomes my template for action. It helps to organize effort in a logical sequence and to keep me on track and also gives me something to work on if I hit a snap in one area. For example; if infrastructure isn't immediately possible perhaps more effort can be made on education. My experience is that when people really commit to ideas and are willing to stick with them long term others see that and buy in.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 11-10-18 at 12:24 PM.