View Single Post
Old 07-17-19, 11:19 AM
BigChief

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by PeterLYoung
Just completed the refurbishment of my 1957 Phillips P2 step thru bike which I have previously written up and posted.

I don't know where it was kept but it survived in good cosmetic condition, all the chrome work polished up well after 48 hours in white vinegar.

The rims I polished up after dismantling the wheels, so much easier when no spokes are present. Had the wheels rebuilt with stainless spokes. The paintwork was all original with decals in 'fair' condition, some were flaking off so I compounded as much as I dare to clean up the paintwork and then clear lacquered the frame, fenders and chain guard.

All bearings were stripped cleaned and reassembled with new balls except those inside the replacement Sturmey Archer SW 3 Speed, which were in good shape (the original I thought had lost the change toggle so I obtained a couple more 1957 SW's and used the best one as a replacement to rebuild the rear wheel. When I stripped the original I found it still intact but by that time the wheel was rebuilt with the replacement hub). The replacement was stripped, cleaned and re assembled. It works fine, changes gear OK and engages correctly, it runs silently as it should.

The bike is all original except for the following:-

Tires & tubes

Spokes

3 Speed (same vintage as original)

3 Speed change cable

Brake cable outers (original inners reused, they were in good condition)

Brake blocks, replaced with Koolstop 45mm.

Test rode it last night and it rides beautifully, really pleased with how it turned out.

Some more Photos
Very good job. That turned out beautifully. Hang on to the old bent trigger shifter. They can be repaired. I've fixed a bunch of em. I see you found the correct shifter cable in the old, pre-pinch bolt style. Very nice.