View Single Post
Old 05-11-09, 05:19 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
Two things to also consider. Sweating causes one to lose electrolytes resulting in cramping. Were you refueling with a sports drink with adequate electrolytes, or taking a supplement to replace the lost minerals? The rule of thumb is to drink a bottle of fluids for every hour of riding and even more when it is hot. Another thing to cause the cramping is the the new bike's fit. Riding 112 miles will identify small changes in a bike fit from what your body is conditioned too. Changing geometry just a bit will cause some muscle groups to work differently causing some to be overworked or stressed in a different sequence from the norm. On a short ride you would not experience any issues, but on extended rides the change would be significant until your body makes the adaptations to the new fit.
Good questions. I was drinking sports drinks and also water-I would supplement with Electrolyte tablets. I take a diuretic and I know that doesn't help my situation and usually do not take it a few days leading up to a big ride.

Bike fit is pretty close to what I've been riding but it certainly could influence some of how I felt.