Old 02-12-18, 12:59 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
...Suggested Tips for safe riding in Detroit as quoted above:

Stay within the Downtown areas, stay at least 25 feet from anyone who might bepacking, as well avoiding groups of 2 or more teenagers with baggy clothing andor hoodies; also avoid:
1. Teenage drivers
2. Senior drivers
3. Texting/Cellphone drivers
3. Potholes
4. Q-line rail
5. Pedestrians on the bike lane.

Sounds like the way to be "be cool" while riding in Detroit is to only ride around around the block if you live on a quiet street in a gentrified neighborhood or in a car free zone in the Downtown area.
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I have been robbed in Boston, seen the worst sides of New York ..... but If I said I bike commuted in any of those cities everyone would understand I didn't mean the most dangerous neighborhoods.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I perked up when I read that, and I googled murders in the (tony) Back Bay, and there were a good number of assaults, especially in the hours of darkness.

During the early morning after dawn I will ride through some reputably “bad” areas in Boston, yet I won’t ride on a darkened MUP in some “nice” ones.
I think the advice about riding through Detroit is applicable to many urban and even rural venues (see the 1969 movie, Easy Rider).
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
…The next morning,as they are overtaken on a two-lane country road by an old pickup truck, the passenger in the truck reaches for a shotgun, saying he will scare them.

As they pass Billy, the passenger fires, and Billy has a lowside crash.Wyatt rides down the road towards the pickup as it makes a u-turn. Passing in the opposite direction, the passenger fires the shotgun out the window…
or the current thread, "1 Cyclist Killed, One Injured in Tour de Palm Springs".

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-12-18 at 01:06 PM.