View Single Post
Old 02-13-18, 01:54 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I think the advice about riding through Detroit is applicable to many urban and even rural venues [emphasis added] (see the 1969 movie, Easy Rider), or the current [real] thread, "1 Cyclist Killed, One Injured in Tour de Palm Springs".
Originally Posted by cooker
How does it compare to your experience in Burlington?
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
If"it" is Detroit, no resemblance.

If "it" is advice on cycling coolness with tips such as to avoid at least half of the drivers on the road, my experience tells me that"it" is equally useless advice for Burlington and everywhere else too.

If "it" is comparing my experience to fictional movie scenes from Easy Rider, no resemblance.
Originally Posted by cooker
No need for situational awareness where you bike?
I like that term, “situational awareness.” A couple of recent threads have been written about how to sustain situational awareness; whether in devastated Detroit, the rural Deep South, the Palm Springs desert, or wherever. For my own safety, I have written,
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...Over the past few months I have come to realize that my safety aphorisms, collected over the years by personal or vicarious experience,are my way of actively aligning the stars in my favor, to anticipate those unseen and otherwise unanticipated dangers.

FWIW, for my own information at least, my other aphorisms beside those above are:…
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
No need to be all OCD about it. YMMV.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-14-18 at 04:18 AM.