View Single Post
Old 06-14-14, 06:26 PM
atombikes

Bikes: homebuilt FWD recumbents, Genesis 20" folding bike, 1986 Schwinn Tempo, Cannondale Beast of the East, 70's Peugeot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by keyven
Good to see the naysayers being knocked down a peg.

From day one I've seen some of them proclaim that the only way to get a decent bike is to throw money at the problem. Maybe it's a middle-class, 'people with too much disposable income/savings' kinda mentality.

I use money for many other things in my life with similar or higher priorities - family, friends, my kid - soon to be two hopefully, retirement savings, mortgage, etc.

I do have the disposable income to purchase expensive bikes, but it's never an easy decision to lay it down as some make it out to be.
keyven,
This wasn't really my intent, but I do understand and relate to your post. I suppose I make a decent living; and although bicycles are one of my passions, I still can't justify a big cash outlay for one. When it comes to spending money on any of my hobbies, I find I have to strike a balance with other expenditures usually taking a much higher priority.

So when I found what I thought was a good deal, I naturally wanted to share my find with everyone here. I know bikes at this lower price point aren't for everyone; but I know there's a lot of thrifty people out there like me.

Originally Posted by tk1971
Looks nice. With only 6 gears in the rear, I'd put a friction barcon shifter on that and call it good. It would shift buttery smooth...
tk1971- I used 22.2mm (7/8) bullhorn bars on this from Crow Cycle (leftover from an old build) and the ID of the bars are not large enough for Suntour Barcons (I tried). But you're right, they would be perfect. These bars are sweet because mountain bike components work perfectly due to the 7/8" dia. I'm gonna have to wait for my next flight home to grab another shifter, I think I have a early 90s friction thumbshifter that might mount on the forward part of the bullhorn fairly well. So for now I'm stuck with this shifter. I love the bullhorns on this bike, though.

Last edited by atombikes; 06-14-14 at 06:30 PM.