View Single Post
Old 02-04-18, 08:02 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
The mind is a weird thing. I think the concept is called "transference" or something like that where we subconsciously associate things with performance. This is the root of celebrity/athlete endorsements.

Joe Blow is the fastest athlete in the world.
I saw Joe Blow drinking Acme Co. beverages.
Acme Co. beverages must make people fast.

Liz Whiz is the best tennis player in the world.
Liz plays using Acme Co. shoes.
Acme Co. shoes must make people great tennis players.

We are watching this happen with BLS and their nylon straps. How many of us bought them thinking that they* would make us faster than the straps we had before?

*Straps make people faster, provided that they meet a minimum set of functional requirements. But, of the ones that meet the minimum functional requirements, there is little difference, if any at all.
Marketing 101

I went from Toshi to skingrowsback straps as I had great difficulty getting the Toshis into the second strap hole after tightening. No problems with the velcro straps. Having said that, I actually rarely do the straps up. Unless I'm doing a full gas standing start, I don't use them, and I really only use them to take the foot play out cause by my shoes. But I'm a marketer's worst nightmare, a function over form kind of guy. I can do full on 100% resistance starts on the Kickr and have NEVER pulled my foot.