Old 05-08-20, 02:34 PM
Chrisp72
Roleur of Dough

Bikes: Kuwahara Caravan, Specialized Stumpjumper S Works

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
I'm thinking I just have to experience the bike I have before really contemplating a new drivetrain system. I like the discussion around certain topics and getting opinions on various things as it's a good way to learn.

I try to be a little more frugal now that I'm out of work and I don't know if that will change. I like getting value for money and very often getting older equipment in good shape leads to surprises ie, when buying a new to me bike. It's cheap and the components can be a higher quality imho. Maybe I'll learn about newer equipment through more questions and discussions and be swayed into trying something else. I usually can't afford the newest and if I could I would have issues dropping so much money on something that I could get a lot cheaper if someone else had bought it new. I have been invested in the touring bike I have and purchased some items for it specifically. Now it's just a matter of following through and trying out what I have. After that I'm sure I will have ideas of what worked and what didn't.

There is a thread about the "new" Trek 520 that talks about how newer trends in bicycling haven't been the best for Biketouring. Again this can also be perceived as opinions and views as many people see things differently. The changes to cycling trends have made for an arguably worse touring bike in the 520 and it's an interesting read.

I need to get myself on the road and test out everything. That's the only way to really know how it's going to be.