Old 11-16-20, 01:27 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,554 Posts
Funny,I read the 1984 interview with Tom Kellog, Gary Klein and Jim Redcay last night. Klein said then that bicycles were in the third "era". First era - push bikes. Second era- pedals and the high wheelers. Third era- safety bikes - diamond frames and chain/shaft driven drive trains. That he had developed a new tubing for the closing chapter of the third era. That further evolution in metals, composites and ceramics were just more of the end of that era.

Magnesium -more tweaks to push this era a little longer. (The first two eras lasted about 15 years each, This one has gone on 140 years. Will any of us live to see the next?)

I took a spin on professor David Wilson's recumbent 44 years ago. Short wheelbase, under the knees steering, semi-reclined position, Easy to ride, completely natural first time and obviously fast. I rode with the professor a few times as he commuted home and I headed out on training rides. Yes, I always caught him from behind, chatted and left him but he was a middle aged professor and I was a mid 20s bike racer. He was one of the few non-racers fast enough for me to condescend to slow to. And that bike had commuter clincher wheels and nothing special parts. But sew-ups and racing equipment and that recumbent would have been a rocket. I knew that with my spin around the parking lot.

Now with this magnesium for the frame of that recumbent, plus race worthy gear; that 1976 bike would be an all-world fast road bike today, just not allowed to race. (I say this and I will not be a convert until I lose my balance because I love "the dance"; the out of the saddle climb. I live for it. Maybe the fourth era will be a design that dances. I can hope.)

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney: