Old 11-22-20, 08:15 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked 5,576 Times in 2,894 Posts
[QUOTE=CargoDane;21801411]It is not "diluted" to use "cyclist" to mean anyone on a bicycle/tricycle and whatnot. It's an umbrella-term. Just like "pedestrian" and "motorist". Hell, even "motorcyclist" is an umbrella term. Your level of "dedication" bears no bearing on this, as that it is merely a subset of "cyclists". You say that there is such a thing as "bike riders". Yes, there is indeed. "bike" is short for "bicycle" = "bicycle rider" = cyclists. You can also "ride" on a motorcycle, as a passenger in a plane, or on an inflatable banana behind a speedboat.

Just like "the human race" is an umbrella term, "Americans" being a subset of that while still being an umbrella term that can be futher divided into many, many subsets: rich, poor, politicans/non-politicians, factory workers, office workers, city dwellers, rural people, fat people/underweight people, you name it. It doesn't matter which subset you fit or how many subsets you fit, you're still American, and you're still of the human race.

There is no "dilution" there. It means someone "cycling" - i.e. they're on a unicycle, bicycle, tricycle, or how many wheels you care to add. It's all cycling. They are all cyclists.

Btw, what was that "Danish experiment" you referred to in earlier post?[/QUOTE

CD I should have written Swedish Experiment. I am old a feeble and want out of the human race. So why the strong feelings about a totally inconsequential term in the scope of our lives? I could see an argument about COVID, human slavery, climate change, etc. FYI Half of what I write is tongue in cheek or for my amusement.

Likes For rsbob: