Old 12-04-19, 01:29 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8314 Post(s)
Liked 9,108 Times in 4,503 Posts
I did club rides (100 per year) for years and was at or near the back of the pack but the last few years of work took a toll on my riding, plus that whole age thing, (I'm 65).
I retired in April and lost a little weight, (down to 200) and regained a little of my endurance but it's not as easy as years ago. Plus, there has been an influx of younger hammerheads in our club and some of the older guys have left. Some of the rides are no longer fun for me, depending on who is there among other things.
I used to say that if I got 10 hours per week on the bike I was ready for anything. Now I am doing more than that and I'm not ready for anything.

I did a mountain bike ride last Saturday where I was one of the faster riders and I had a blast. 4 hours with lots of climbing but also lots of waiting and regrouping. A nice break from going 100% until I feel like I'm bleeding out of my eyes.

I think if you cut your training back too much you can regret it. Maybe try to find a group ride of the right pace with like minded individuals.

Last edited by big john; 12-04-19 at 01:32 PM.