Thread: Wd40
View Single Post
Old 12-22-20, 02:07 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,301 Times in 868 Posts
The big problem with many, many chain lubes is that their dispensing hardware isn't configured and calibrated to make the tidy application of the lube into a fool-proof operation.

At one time, Triflow sold an accessory metal capillary top that screwed onto their traditional black 40z squeeze bottle (see first picture). I kept this and refilled it with my current "lite" mixture, having gone to some trouble to make chain lubing quicker and cleaner with the roughly 4:1 Solvent/oil mix that I find most convenient.
I believe there is some "environmental" improvement in better controlling the application of lubes and aerosols of all types.

Many round squeeze bottles have too-rigid sides, unlike the pliable/ flat sides of the traditional 4oz White Lightning bottle. The lube does not flow out at a steady rate while applying the lube to a moving chain, in further part due to there being virtually no flow restriction at the tip.

The applicator tube that works so well on a Tri-flow bottle (when cut to a shorter length) can be similarly applied to other bottles, but why are they not all sold this way?

Second picture is my shop-worn lube squeeze bottle having the applicator tip that I had to drill out the bottle top to fit. I shouldn't have had to do this imo, just to get the thin, steady stream of thin-bodied lube that can make lubing the chain literally a ten-second procedure!
I also may heat and stretch these applicator tubes to further improve the aim and dispensing rate (for an even easier time lubing my chain, even after perhaps drinking too much!).
The necked-down applicator tube also makes all of my aerosol cans last a lot longer by helping to regulate and pin-point the flow. I can even spray into assembled on-bike cable housings just by flattening the tip of the plastic tube slightly. I can also spray aerosol lithium grease into an assembled cotter crank bottom bracket (woo-hoo no need to fight with the cotters!).

Last edited by dddd; 12-22-20 at 02:12 PM.
Likes For dddd: