View Single Post
Old 09-03-19, 07:52 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Originally Posted by revcp
Thank you, everyone, for the responses. To clarify, the only reason I was wondering about this is that 8 speed hyperglide cassettes appear to be more readily available and less expensive than 7 speed uniglide cassettes. I don't need "better" shifting, as I find the Sante index shifting to be quick and precise. I was not aware that the cogs can be flipped, essentially doubling the lifespan of a cassette. Neither did it occur to me that I could effectively modify hyperglide cogs to work. And since Sante is 7 speed, it sounds like it might be second generation, so perhaps compatible with hyperglide. Great, great stuff. Thanks again!
Now that you mention it, I installed a 7sp HG cassette on my 7s Sante hub with no modifications needed. I didn't know of two generations of Sante, other than that there was a 7s freewheel hub and freewheel offered in addition to the 7s cassette hub.