View Single Post
Old 06-26-17, 04:05 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Both my wife and I have been through a lot - and I mean a LOT. Yes, we have PTSD. She has a psychiatrist and had a psychologist. Depression is always at the door. We are not afraid to discuss this with folks and let them know. It helps, at times, IF you have understanding folks. Some are, some not.

Neither my wife nor I are "crazy." I started a group on the internet for folks facing problems similar to those that gave us PTSD. It is a nice, confidential group of about 150 folks, and we share the raw truth of our situations, and it helps. Instead, we are proud of how we have overcome and live with our situation. We have developed strategies for coping - things like avoiding certain folks and situations; getting copious amounts of exercise (bicycling, swimming, walking, stretching); being careful of what we watch on TV and movies we go to; finding a church group (which helps to some degree); singing in the choir.

You have now officially recognized your situation. Great! There are steps you can take to make life better and easier. Your desperately needs a trained counselor at this time to help point the way out. Neither you or this group can provide enough support. A trained counselor helped her to understand and deal with an abusive and alcoholic father.

Medications can help, but there has to be feedback between the psychiatrist and you as to what is and is not working.

Most of all, YOU ARE NOT "CRAZY." You are similar to millions of folks in the US of A and around the world.

You now have a chance to further build your life. You need guidance to do that. Get that help.

May God Bless.

Both approaching 80.

Last edited by gobicycling; 06-26-17 at 07:30 PM.