Old 05-23-20, 11:39 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by jbell_64
I think it is solely to remind people that putting a hitch on a car does not turn it into a truck.
What does a hitch to do with what type of car or truck it is? the only limit of hitch you can install is if there is one available for the bolt pattern your vehicle has. Cars and SUVs also can tow, they just have a lower tow rating.
It would take someone really dumb who thinks installing a 2" hitch with 4-ton rating on on a Prius to think it enables the Prius to tow 4 tons. (well, but we also live int he country where manufacturers of disinfectant need to point out it is not for ingestion.... so there is that). If you tow trailers, you also need to install the wiring harness and with some manufacturers a transmission cooler. So the fact someone installs a hitch receiver, doesn't really have to mean anything for trailers. i bet most hitches on private vehicles inc. trucks never see a trailer, but see cargo platforms, bike racks etc.

Originally Posted by phughes
You're kidding, right? They exist because there are different towing classes, and the smaller receiver is used for the lower weight classes. When it comes to accessories like bike racks, it prevents a person from using a bike rack that is too large for their car's rated capacity. The receiver can only hold as much weight as the mounting points will allow. Even within the 1 1/4 world, there are some accessories that will not fit, some Class I receivers have a stop in them that prevents a class II accessory to be attached. If you made a 2 inch receiver for a car that is only rated for Class I, it would open up a ton of issues. There are different towing classes, and receiver sizes for a reason.
You realize a hitch rated for 4 tons also can tow a 200 pound trailer? The weight of the trailer is limited by the car. The hitch receiver itself in most cases will have a larger rating.

Maybe I have to retract mys statement that it doesn't take a structural engineer to see the benefit of the 2" vs. 1.25". a trailer pulls on the hitch receiver, but it doesn't twist it. A bike rack will exercise torsional fore by going up an down on the left and right side. Take a 1.25" hitch and a 2" hitch and go down a highway and you see the difference in how scary the bike will swing around. Even if you put simple science aside, or refuse to understand it, you must see that larger racks are only available in 2" and it is prudent to be a bit future-proof.