View Single Post
Old 06-02-20, 08:24 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 185 Posts
My opinion is that you will be sadly disappointed in the gains you get from a set of carbon wheels. In fact, you'll be surprised at how poorly your brakes work compared to your existing wheels (assuming you have rim brakes). I did the experiment of upgrading from a decent set of Bontrager aluminum wheels to a used set of Bontrager Aeolus 5 carbon wheels for about $1k. About the only thing I really liked about the carbon wheels over the aluminum was that the freewheel was a lot quieter and they did look cool. The braking was awful in dry weather despite trying multiple different brake pads. In the wet... forget about braking and just start praying. On my typical 40 mile ride, there was no radical change in my average speed now that I was riding aero carbon wheels. Perhaps there was a several second benefit to the aero carbon wheels, but when one isn't competing, does a few seconds really matter?

Anywho... As other's suggested, if you look at brands like Hunt, Caden, Light Bicycle, or Winspace, you'll find you get get a really nice and light set of carbon wheels for under $1k brand new. They may feel a bit more lively than your existing wheels if you buy a light set, but I'd be really surprised if you feel the difference is huge and worth the money over a decent set of aluminum wheels.
Likes For PoorInRichfield: