Old 10-03-17, 02:53 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Campy Ergo 8 speed Shifter Compatibility question

Hello all, Now that I have upgraded My Ciocc, with a 7 speed Micro Shifter, I'm looking into the possibility of upgrading my Concorde.

Here's what I have now, on the Concorde: Campy Athena RD, FD, Syncro II DT shifters, with a Shimano HG 7 speed cassette. Yes, that's the way I had it built, so I could have larger cogs, as I grew older, and the system works great.

I know, Campy did not make a 7 speed "brifter". Specs show the Campy Ergo has a cable pull of 3.5mm. vs 2.9mm for Shimano. Cog spacing seems to be the same 5.0mm .

I want to keep the Campy theme (Group). Has anyone adapted a Campy Ergo 8 speed shifter to a 7 speed cassette ?

I understand, one gear will be locked out on the shifter. Any suggestions and ideas are very welcome and thank you.
I do find used 8 speed Ergo shifters on Ebay, approx. $60. So I would take the risk. KB