View Single Post
Old 06-21-19, 03:30 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Wow, an Epilepsy thread. Awesome.

Canadian Epilepsy Alliance

So while I understand that some seizures have been reported as low as 3 hertz, as the extreme lower bound, and (possibly) some have been reported as high as 60 hertz as the extreme upper bound; The Epilepsy Alliance plainly states between 15-20 hertz is the most likely.

So following that: According to NASA

I will concede that there is some overlap between the fraction of photosensetive Epileptics at least 2 standard deviations away from normal photosensetive Epileptics and the 4 to 8 hertz that bicycle lights are designed to for maximum attention grabbing ability.

You do realize that the fractions we are dealing with are getting into the 1 in 10's of thousands, right?

No moving goal posts here, just establishing the parameters of the equation for actual risk.
Stats were my favorite math class.
Yeah, I did alright in grad school stats. I already conceded that the risk was low, but my point was any nonzero risk couldn't be justified because there was no benefit to outweigh it. Indeed, strobes increase risk from collision on bike paths. I still can't find light hertz specs-- it totally wouldn't surprise me if they exceeded that 8 hertz rate.