Thread: Travel guitars?
View Single Post
Old 01-25-21, 05:36 PM
Sluggo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 58 Posts
mtnbud, thanks for the search. There are some good perspectives in the relevant threads. I have not had good luck with the search function in the past -- I should have more faith.

I do not feel confident strapping a full-size guitar to my rig like you do, imi. I had eliminated the Journey guitar as a possibility because of the cost, but I took another look and their appeal is growing. Compared to the KLOS, the Journey packs a little bigger (I think), is about a pound heavier, and significantly more expensive ($1300 vs. $750). But the reviews says the neck removal process is easier and quicker, and it has a cutout. With the Journey, I would be paying for electronics that I would never use. Still pondering.

The Martin Backpacker is not really a solution because it is still awkwardly long. If you put it on your rear rack you need a red flag on it because it hangs so far off the back. Many people do not like the playing experience. And it has all the temperature and moisture limitations of a wood guitar.

There are several commercial options similar to ClydeClydeson's thoughts about cutting down an electric guitar so that it basically just neck. At least one of these tucks the head inside what would otherwise be body to reduce the overall length. Does anyone out there have any experience with these?

I have nothing against the ukelele, but I don't want to learn to play one at this point in my life, no matter how convenient. And please don't suggest a harmonica.
Likes For Sluggo: