View Single Post
Old 01-28-21, 06:41 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 757 Times in 562 Posts
Originally Posted by Sluggo
With your indulgence, please allow me to provide some background as to why I am resisting the idea of a uke.

I retired last spring with the intention of doing a Transam trip but Covid intervened. I am old enough with enough medical history that the virus concerns me a great deal (though not old or sick enough to be prioritized for vaccine).

So what I have done instead of bike travel is play guitar. I have been playing on and off for 50 years, but every time I have reached a certain mediocre level of technical ability, life intervened; the next time I picked it up, I would need to start nearly from scratch. Retirement and isolation have provided an opportunity to make some real progress in technique and knowledge and I don’t want to compromise that momentum with different pitching, fewer strings, and/or different fret spacing. If I were 24 and interested in learning to play a variety of instruments, I would be happy with the compromise, but I would like to stay focused, at least for now. With any luck vaccine-wise, I will be able to do the Transam this year, or at least a major trip later in the summer, and I want to keep playing.

PedalingWalrus, can you be more specifice about your recently purchased guitar-carrying option?
A guitarlele comes pretty close to meeting all of those requirements in a smallish package and they can be found for pretty cheap. If you can't live with that, I'd just take a guitar that I could afford to replace if it got broken badly. Maybe something in the $200-300 range. Or if your budget is very tight and you aren't fussy there are some really inexpensive choices.

Last edited by staehpj1; 01-28-21 at 06:47 PM.