Bike Forums - View Single Post - Conflict (tire choice): Weekend touring with knobby tires
Old 01-05-20, 04:39 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 183 Posts
Schwalbe Marathon Extremes are no longer made, but they roll surprisingly well on pavement for a tire with big blocky looks to it. If they were still made, i would suggest them.

I have not ridden the Mondial that was suggested above by Tyrion, but that tire replaced the Extreme in the Schwalbe lineup. When my Hutchinson Globetrotter (another tire no longer made) that is on the back wheel of my Backroad wears out, I already own the Mondial that will go on that wheel.

ADDENDUM ADDED THREE DAYS LATER:

Photo of the Marathon Extreme that unfortunately is no longer made, i think about 40 percent of the tread is gone on this tire from road wear, rolls surprisingly well for a knobby tire on pavement and is noisy, but nice to have if you get to some unpaved roads or trails too. This is a 559 X 57mm folding version.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 01-08-20 at 08:35 PM.
Likes For Tourist in MSN: