Old 09-22-18, 11:01 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Yup. Couldn't agree more with you. The wife has Assaults and it was BRUTAL getting the tyres on. I don't know how many times I had take five and walk away. I eventually managed to the tyres on but how I did it (besides brute force) I'm not entire certain. I'm dreading the day when she flats and I need to change the tube.
Have you tried any of the Schwalbe TL Easy newer tires yet? To be fair, I've read a ton of reviews on the Assault's and both your and Primov's comments come through in all of them, so it must be an issue, still I've had my share of challenges with other tubeless wheels and tire combo's but not since these new Schwalbe's, as easy as a regular tire.

Update, rode this morning, got a solid 30 miles in. Didn't break any new land speed records but hit some decent potholes in the morning darkness with no issues lol. The biggest surprise for me was that I didn't lose any air whatsoever since inflating on Thursday morning. With my current Easton's and pretty much all my prior tubeless wheels including the carbon Yoeleo's I'd lose about 5lbs per day. When I put my pump to them this morning they were still sitting at a tad over 80lbs which is exactly how I left them. Must be the combo of their rim tape and carbon sidewalls perhaps? Will see tomorrow and the next if any difference.

The hubs are fantastic, even though I've had them before I had forgotten how nice they sound (similar to Chris King's) and how smooth they seem to be. I know this is probably just mental and that basically hubs are hubs but when pedalling they certainly felt smoother than my White Industry's, who knows. The last 5 miles I rode solo since I had to boogey home to get ready for work, some pretty stiff head and cross winds. Took a couple for me to realize that I could feel when the gusts would move my front wheel a bit. No big deal, maybe a little more noticeable than my 28mm depth wheels but barely. As far as any noticeable road feel compliance wise, stiffness, etc. I couldn't say, even though I seem to go through a ton of wheelsets they all basically have the same "feel" to me when using same tires

Overall and so far I'll say they feel just wonderful and look darn cool. Braking is just fine, but remember I live in flat lands with no rain... On Wednesday I'll have some climbing and descending under my bibs. Will update the thread here and there should anything happen or once I get some real miles on them.