Old 06-07-18, 12:56 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
Damn !!! NIce job !! 150 lbs blows my effort away. I've lost 55 since late last June. How do you get over the plateaus? I hit big log-jams at 220,210, and now 200. It's been a year since I largely stopped all bread,pasta, white potatoes, alcohol, etc ( and already avoided processed/ fast food, refined sugar, soft drinks,etc.) and largely live on oatmeal, poached eggs, some fruit, and big spinach/kale salads with 1/2 a baked chicken breast, with ultra low cal italian dressing. I'm riding a road-tired mountain bike in rolling hills for 1-2 hours, nearly every day, and the few off days are a 1 hr fast walk or the gym. I'm hoping to drop only another 10 pounds or so, but man, it's been like pulling teeth !!!!! I'm sure me being in my mid 50's is a big factor, but it's bizarre how much of a fight it is to lose every single pound.
BTW, I raced road bikes until my early 40's, and was crazy lean at about 170, but a decade+ back in the States really packed on the spam !!
Only way I was able to beat plateaus is to use MyFitnessPal and closely track my calorie intake, and try not to go over my daily limit. It got me below 230 where I struggled for a while to keep losing. I still have plateaus but they're shorter now, like a few days, and when I break through one I lose weight dramatically. Like I'll stay around a certain weight for several days, then all of a sudden go down about 5 lbs.